Terrance Thornton at the Independent recently did the most in-depth article of Scottsdale’s proposed (and all-but-certain) Desert Discovery Center (aka “DDC”) of any of the mainstream media so far. You can read the article in its entirety on their website.
Some of the details stand out:
- “Some aspects of the DDC are viewed as commercial,” Mr. Ekblaw [director of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve] said of concerns raised.
- Cost is projected to be in the neighborhood of $74 million.
- No funding sources have been officially identified, but city council members and staff have said that they intend to sweep funds from the voter-approved land purchase bonds.
- “The estimated 20- to 30-acre appreciation venue is sought to serve as an elaborate museum geared toward teaching patrons the story of the Upper Sonoran Desert.”
- “Over the last four years about $700,000 has been spent in the study and preparation for developing the Discovery Center at the Gateway of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, according to Kroy Ekblaw, Scottsdale staff liaison to the feasibility committee.”
The Scottsdale Mayor and Council are so lucky that the taxpayers in Scottsdale have endless sources of income, some even while living only on Social Security.