The present-day home of the Scottsdale Historical Society was built in 1909 to replace the original wooden structure that housed Scottsdale Grammar School. During the life of the new brick building building it was used for a Sunday School, a church, an election polling place, a school for Mexican-American students, town hall, county offices, and the home of the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce…which helped the Scottsdale Historical Society raise funds to augment efforts by the Historical Society to save the structure from the demolition that was making room for the Scottsdale Mall.
Known today simply as “The Little Red Schoolhouse,” it is staffed by volunteers from the Historical Society, many of whom are Scottsdale natives. A few of the volunteers have lived in Scottsdale since before Scottsdale was incorporated. They can tell you some great stories!
Come on by to get maps and personal recollections, see historical photos and documents, and see their display of a classroom from 1910.
Donations of funds and historical items are appreciated; prospective volunteers are eagerly welcomed, too!