From Sonnie Kirtley, COGS chair: Thank you for reading the COGS E-Newsletter. We enjoy keeping you informed. If you are a resort developer in Scottsdale you can stop looking for the angel for the top of the holiday tree.
The City Council has granted another “blue star” for your Christmas. The Sereno Canyon Resort and Spa was approved this week (6-1). Their action establishes additional precedence to easily change rural-residential land use based on the notoriously floating “blue star” on the city planning map. It has the capability to move without a Major General Plan Amendment across areas previously zoned for that quiet, desert lifestyle….kind of like those drones?
AT&T Cell Tower at Club SAR:
Club SAR and the AT&T proposed tower update: Thanks to the active involvement of COGS member, Mike Bergfeldt, Club SAR will not have the proposed AT & T power pole 7 feet away from their athletic facility nor next to the Giants’ batting cage. The probable location will be 300 feet away from SAR and north of the batting cages. This is on Camelback Road just west of 81st Street. Check on line soon for the updated site map or contact Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Camelback Road and 82nd Street proposed roundabout and street islands update: Perhaps it was the Navajo Grade School area residents’ signatures by the hundreds on petitions to stop the proposed traffic change? Perhaps it was the realization that young children are at risk trying to cross constantly moving roundabout traffic? Perhaps it was the erroneous statement by a traffic staff member that the freeway headlights can be seen from the Hayden/Camelback intersection [that is totally impossible] so Entertainment District traffic speeds through here planning to enter the freeway? or…perhaps it was just BETTER PLANNING. According to the assigned city staff , “options” will heard in a public meeting in December or January….stay tuned….
Citizen Advocacy Task Forces:
The Coalition of Greater Scottsdale (COGS) 2013 Planning: If you are interested in joining a COGS Task Force to determine specific focus issues for 2013, please e mail us. In early January approximately 10 to 12 COGS members will be invited to conference for a morning, afternoon or evening. Issue examples might be to establish a tighter criteria for the Incentive Infill District or to support a Noise Ordinance that protects residents within the Downtown Overlay. If you just want to send us an issue/topic and not be on the Task Force, please e mail to email@example.com Thank you so much.
December Events to Enjoy in Our City: (click on the links for more information)
• EVERY THURSDAY 7:00 PM- 9 PM Downtown ArtWalk Free in the Arts District on Main Street and northward on Marshall Way above Indian School Road. The free trolley runs until 9 pm
• Every Saturday 8:00 AM—1 PM Old Town Farmers Market SW corner of Brown Avenue and 1st Street (south of Indian School Rd and across from Old Mission Church in Old Town)
• Nightly from December 15th to January 5th6:30 PM- 9 PM Holiday Lights at McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park Fee event. Train and carousel rides are $2 each. Children under 3 yrs. ride free with a paying adult.
FREE Arabian Horse Shows: December 6th through the 9th
•8:00 AM –6:00 PM 22nd Annual Saguaro Classic Arabian & Half-Arabian Horse Show, FREE Dates: December 6-9, 2012 Time: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Location: WestWorld of Scottsdale 16601 North Pima Road Scottsdale, AZ 85260
• Saturday, December 8th Electronics Recycle….Santa Jingle Hike…Fire Truck Ride
•7:30 AM-2 PM Electronics Recycling Day is Dec. 8, Free Discard old electronic items such as TVs, computer monitors, computer and portable electronic devices Contact: Call 480-312-5600 or visit: www.ScottsdaleAZ.gov/recycle
•9:00 AM Jingle Hike to Santa, Cost: Fee is per family, $10 Scottsdale Resident, $15 Non-Scottsdale Resident Enjoy a ho-ho-ho hike and a trail-side visit with the jolly old man.
•11:00 AM Ride for Toys, Bring the whole family to this fun-filled event. Donate a new, unwrapped toy and youth gift and receive a ride around the parking lot on a fire truck. Donations collected
• Sunday, December 9th Last day for Arabian Horse Show…..Senior Center Holiday Art Show, 8:00 AM – 6 PM 22nd Annual Saguaro Classic Arabian & Half-Arabian Horse Show December 6-9, 2012 Time: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Location: WestWorld Last day !
•6:00 PM Via Linda Holiday Art Show Free Celebrate the talented art community at the City of Scottsdale’s Via Linda Senior Center during their annual Holiday Art Show. (Approx 104th St/Via Linda)
• Saturday 15th Fire Dept. Museum opening! 9:30 AM Grand Opening: Fire Department Museum, Cost: Free Contact: Patty Jo Angelini, 480-312-1815, firstname.lastname@example.org Description: You are invited to the grand opening of the Scottsdale Fire Department Museum. This hands-on fun museum teaches children
• Saturday 29th –31st Team Roping Championships, 8:00 AM. Lasso del Sol United States Team Roping Championships Free to the public For information, 254-968-0002 or USTRC Watch teams compete in this New Year’s rodeo event. Big prize money, and lots of excitement, in two arenas!
For the COGS Board of Directors, Sonnie Kirtley, Chair website: http://cogsaz.net e-mail: email@example.com